For more than 60 years, Ashland was known as Poage's Landing. It was named by George and Robert Poage, who moved from Virginia in 1790 to settle on the Ohio River. In 1854 the city was re-named Ashland, in honor of the Lexington estate of Senator Henry Clay. Two years later, Ashland was incorporated as a town.
Photos Courtesy of Pat Pekar and Wyatt Bates.